Invisalign is a clear orthodontic aligner that differs from traditional braces because it doesn’t use a bracket and wire system. It is designed to gently move teeth into alignment over a certain period by forcing them to conform to the shape of the aligner tray. When undergoing Invisalign treatment, your dentist makes you a series of numbered clear plastic aligners customized to fit your mouth.
During the treatment, you must wear the transparent plastic trays for 22 hours a day, only removing them to eat and brush your teeth. Every couple of weeks, you change your Invisalign aligner to the next in the series. Your dentist will instruct you how and when to change them.
Because of the undetectable tooth movement and discreet orthodontic system, many people wonder how long Invisalign takes to work and whether it is effective. Discover how you can benefit from Invisalign and how long treatment typically takes.
Benefits of Invisalign Over Traditional Braces
There are a variety of benefits when it comes to choosing Invisalign aligners over traditional braces, including:
- They are less conspicuous. While there is nothing wrong with traditional braces, the chunky brackets and wires can make people self-conscious, especially older teens and adults. This is why Invisalign is the perfect option for those who don’t want to stand out but still want to straighten their teeth. The clear aligner trays are almost invisible, allowing you to wear them without feeling insecure.
- They are easier to clean. One of the most common frustrations with traditional braces is maintenance. They catch food easily, and it is challenging to keep the brackets and your teeth clean, especially after an adjustment when you may be experiencing some sensitivity. With Invisalign, the trays are much easier to clean because they are removable. To clean your aligners, simply rinse them each time you take
- Fewer orthodontic visits. Traditional braces require regular orthodontic visits for adjustments to wires, rubber bands, and tightening. With Invisalign, these visits are much less regular, as the treatment program is prepared in advance. Your dentist provides you with custom-made aligner trays for your current stage in the treatment, along with several next phases. However, your dentist will still need to monitor your progress.
- You can eat and drink what you want. Invisalign doesn’t require any dietary modifications, unlike traditional braces. Because the trays are removable, you can take them out while you eat and drink and then replace them afterward. Just ensure you brush your teeth and rinse your mouth before placing them back in.
- They are more comfortable. Clear aligners are made from smooth thermoplastic molded to your teeth. This means that unlike metal or ceramic brackets and wires used in traditional braces, the device won’t scratch the inside of your mouth. The orthodontic system also uses reduced pressure to force your teeth into place, requiring no uncomfortable dental adjustments or tightening.
How Long Does Invisalign Take to Straighten Teeth?
The average treatment program for Invisalign is around 12 months, especially if the treatment is cosmetic rather than orthodontic. Your dentist will discuss your treatment during your initial consultation.
After taking digital scans of your mouth, your dentist creates a mockup of your treatment progress at each stage so you can see what your smile will look like. After assessing your progress during subsequent visits, they may suggest a shorter or longer program to achieve the desired result.
In some cases, people require Invisalign aligners for longer periods. The most common reasons for this are:
- Serious alignment problems
- Large gaps in teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Failure to keep the aligners in for 22 hours a day
How to Get the Most Out of Invisalign
If you want to help the Invisalign process along, there are a variety of steps you can take to ensure your teeth continue straightening and are in a healthy condition.
- Keep your Invisalign aligners in for 22 hours per day.
- Keep your aligners clean.
- Keep your teeth clean.
- Monitor your dietary habits.
- Store your aligners in a clean retainer when not in use.
For a Straighter Smile, Use Invisalign
There’s nothing as impressive as a beaming, bright and confident smile. If you want to achieve a straighter smile, our team at TruBlu Dentistry can help you on your journey. Call now for an Invisalign consultation and learn if you are a candidate for this teeth straightening option.